Xiegu X108 / X5105 /G90 Microphone Upgrade
The Microphone supplied with the Xiegu QRP portable radios looks like an Icom HM-151. It is NOT. Inside, the circuit-board is totally different. Construction quality is very good though.
Upon experimentation with a few X108 owners, I've developed a custom upgrade for this mic. It uses my Type #2 element which results in increased drive and higher signal to noise than the original element setup. I do change the audio coupler cap with a SMD cap which tailors the response curve so that you are able to maintain higher TX audio levels and power output.
A warning to folks who are upgrading this mic themselves. The element is extremely difficult to extract and you can easily damage the board. Use a vacuum solder sucker and slowly ease it out.
The things I do to make this mic shine are:
1. Replace the element with a type #2 element which offers superior performance to the stock one.
2. Change the SMD coupler cap to tailor the response curve.
3. Increase the mic shell opening slightly.
4. Add a silk and foam pop filter.
5. Add acoustic foam in the rear shell.
6. Add 1oz of metal to deaden the shell (that plastic hollow sound) - and give it the correct
weight in the hand. This small detail makes a really nice difference.
I've decided to price these 10% lower at $47 - $11 of which is for the Priority return shipping insured for full value.