Xiegu X108 / X5105 /G90 Microphone Upgrade
The Microphone supplied with the Xiegu QRP portable radios looks like an Icom HM-151. It is NOT. Inside, the circuit-board is totally different. Construction quality is very good though.
Upon experimentation with a few X108 owners, I've developed a custom upgrade for this mic. It uses my Type #2 element which results in increased drive and higher signal to noise than the original element setup. I do change the audio coupler cap with a SMD cap which tailors the response curve so that you are able to maintain higher TX audio levels and power output. (concentrate the voice energy in the critical intelligibility range)
The Xiegu 6100 cannot be improved by upgrading the microphone element etc. Sorry!
A warning to folks who are upgrading this mic themselves. The element is extremely difficult to extract and you can easily damage the board. Use a vacuum solder sucker at about 450F and slowly ease it out - flow both pins simultaneously.
The things I do to make this mic shine are:
1. Replace the element with a type #2 element which offers superior performance to the stock one.
2. Change the SMD coupler cap to tailor the response curve.
3. Increase the mic shell opening slightly.
4. Add a silk and foam pop filter.
5. Add acoustic foam in the rear shell to deaden the plastic hollowness.
6. Add 1oz of metal to deaden the shell (that plastic hollow sound) - and give it the correct
weight in the hand. This small detail makes a really nice difference.
Price is the same as all the other upgrades: $55 total - $12 of which is for the Priority return shipping insured for full value.